Our dedication to sustainable practices allows us to create a healthier work and learning environment, as well as to increase the integrity of our practices. Birthingway’s core beliefs greatly influence and support our commitment to sustainability. Among these, our beliefs include that we are a community learning together, teachers and students alike, and we believe that providers within the field of midwifery arts and sciences are also activists and change agents by nature of simply existing. Working to meet new standards of sustainability around our campus pushes Birthingway to be more aware of the impact we have on our community and environment, and to encourage continuous collective improvement.
A variety of practices have been implemented on site to decrease our carbon footprint:
- As a green environment, Birthingway is a scent-free and smoke-free campus. Our campus is intentionally planted with native plant species and includes medicinal herbs to be used in our classes, decreasing reliance on outside sources for these ingredients.
- Waste is decreased by encouraging the use of hand towels over paper towels, while durable dishware is always provided. Recycling and composting can be found in multiple locations throughout the building, accompanied with informational signs to encourage the correct use of these systems.
- Sustainable purchases are made as possible, with social equity and environmental stewardship in mind.
- All primary paper products are made from 100% recycled material, including all copy paper, tissue paper, toilet paper and paper towels. Many other products made from recycled materials include sponges, trash bags and toner cartridges.
- Ecofriendly cleaning products are mandatory. Not only are primary cleaning products natural, biodegradable and scent-free, Birthingway also strives to use homemade cleaners as often as possible, using ingredients such as vinegar and baking soda to take care of common campus jobs.
- To reduce energy consumption, Birthingway has auto-light sensors in many areas around the building, and seeks to use Energy Star office products when possible. Our energy use is monitored regularly and we do our best to keep lights off when a room is not in use.
Birthingway is proud of our sustainable pursuits, and we hope you are as well! If you have any suggestions to help us improve on sustainability, please contact our Operations Coordinator and let us know!