Our Midwifery Program is the longest running and largest program offered at Birthingway.
Graduates from this program are prepared to practice as direct-entry midwives, and should have gained the knowledge and experience necessary to seek national certification and/or Oregon state licensure.
Birthingway does not offer online courses.
Graduates of Birthingway’s Midwifery Program will:
- have competency in providing Biodynamic midwifery care.
- be able to use compassionate communication and empathy, and identify feelings and needs.
- have basic knowledge in a variety of therapeutic modalities.
- be prepared to be nationally certified by the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) and for Oregon state licensing.
- have the opportunity to earn a bachelor degree.
Greetings from Rhonda, our Midwifery Program Coordinator!
After retiring from my midwifery practice of over 30 years, I came to work at Birthingway as the Midwifery Program Coordinator in 2006. I was immediately excited to work with the dedicated midwifery students, seeing in them the same passion that had driven me so many years ago. The difference between us, I found out quickly, was the excellence of the education they were receiving: a thorough, rigorous curriculum of both theory and skills, amazing teachers, and caring mentoring from staff and preceptors. Birthingway gave our students a midwifery education that was, in just a few years, beyond what I had struggled to put together over 30 years. Birthingway graduates, I contend, are true experts in the knowledge of midwifery.
I love having this opportunity to advise both aspiring and current students on their journey to becoming midwives. I advocate for you who wish to carry the torch, supporting, and attending women who choose to have their babies in an out of hospital setting.